Christmas Match Fund doubles the difference your donations will make to help people sleeping rough
Residents, visitors and workers in Oxford who want to help people experiencing homelessness can double the difference their money will make by donating to Oxford Homeless Movement this Christmas.
Oxford Homeless Movement is a partnership of the many organisations working to ensure that nobody has to sleep rough on the streets of Oxford. It is hoping to raise £150,000 for charities helping people rough sleeping and to deliver new services reducing homelessness.
Between Sunday 1 December and Monday 6 January, Oxfordshire Community Foundation (OCF) is pledging to match any donation to Oxford Homeless Movement through a Christmas Match Fund.
OCF’s pledge to double the difference will apply to both one-off and repeat donations made during the Christmas period.
When eligible for Gift Aid, a typical £30 donation will be worth £67.50 to beneficiaries of the Christmas Match Fund.
OCF will hold and distribute all money raised to:
• homelessness charities that are members of Oxford Homeless Movement
• help provide services at the assessment centre and shelter opening in Floyds Row from January 2020
• an impact fund that will be used to fund the development of new initiatives filling critical gaps between services reducing rough sleeping.
You can donate online at www.oxfordhomelessmovement.org.uk/donate or by sending a cheque to Oxford Homeless Movement, PO Box 941, Oxford OX1 9TQ.
“We know that many people who visit, live or work in Oxford want to do what they can to help ensure nobody should have to sleep rough in our city. The good news is that this Christmas they can double the difference they make by donating to Oxford Homeless Movement.
“Individuals, organisations and businesses giving to Oxford Homeless Movement from 1 December to 6 January will have their donations matched pound for pound by Oxfordshire Community Foundation. Add in Gift Aid for eligible donations and that’s actually more than twice the difference!
“Last year the Christmas Match Fund raised nearly £90,000 for Oxford’s homeless charities, and this year we’d like to do even better. We’ve got the ambitious target of raising £150,000 for existing charities and to help develop and deliver new services.
“Whether you’re an individual, an organisation or a business everyone can do something to help. Homelessness is not inevitable and together we can all help ensure nobody should have to sleep rough in Oxford. So please give what you can and spread the word.” Jane Cranston, chair of Oxford Homeless Movement
“Oxford is a generous city and we hope the knowledge we’ll match every pound donated to Oxford Homeless Movement this Christmas will inspire people to help. Your kind donations will reflect the care and dedication you have towards building a better and more inclusive society. That heartfelt commitment never ends. If you are able, you can also continue to support those in crisis with a regular monthly donation.” Jayne Woodley, CEO of Oxfordshire Community Foundation
The Oxford Homeless Movement was officially launched on World Homeless Day, 10 October. The partnership’s initiatives already include:
• a website (www.oxfordhomelessmovement.org.uk) to link those who want to offer their support with the organisations or individuals that are providing support to people experiencing rough sleeping. It also offers guidance to those who need help and may not know where to go
• a citywide charter to ensure nobody should have to sleep rough on the streets of Oxford, co-created by Oxford’s homelessness agencies, charities, voluntary organisations and Oxford City Council. Anyone can sign up to the charter on the website
• the launch of the Lived Experience Advisory Forum, made up of people who have experienced rough sleeping and who are either now working for or supported by local agencies. The forum aims to take a leadership role in Oxford Homeless Movement.