In 1983, the;
• Prime Minister was Baroness Margaret Thatcher
• First £1 coin went into circulation
• Base rate was 9.06, the US dollar rate was 1.51 and no Euros
• Wearing of seatbelts became compulsory in the front of passenger cars
• First mobile phone was introduced. (Motorola 8000x costing $3,995)
• First CD went on sale in the UK
• PC was a little box in a corner of the room with a green screen, no network and lucky if connected to the printer. The Printer sat in acoustic hood, the size of a small house!
• Public internet did not exist and we actually read books and newspapers!
• TV show Blockbusters was launched
• Rugby Union had yet to turn professional
• Best selling albums were Thriller (Michael Jackson) & Business as usual (Men at Work)
• UK population was 56m (now 66m)
Also, a new firm of accountants in Kidlington was born, Chapman Robinson & Moore (CRM).
The anniversary marked 35 years of CRM supporting business owners to start, develop, grow and sell their own business, whilst keeping as much money as possible in their own back pocket.
The firm has seen much change over the three and a half decades, including the move of offices, the expanding team, client growth and more recently the impact of technology and software.
Tony Hobbs, Managing Director, said; “Thirty five years seems to have passed so very quickly, perhaps indicative of the breadth and pace of change both within CRM itself and the wider world. I am very proud of the fact that after thirty five years we are stronger than we have ever been, with the best team we have ever had. I am so very grateful for the support of the whole team here, who have contributed so much towards our success to date. And fear not, there is plenty more to come from CRM yet!”
As part of the anniversary celebrations, CRM hosted an event with a twist for their clients and contacts at John Lewis & Partners in the Westgate, Oxford. The celebration event included an 80’s themed catwalk show, refreshments and gifts, coordinated by the talented team at John Lewis.
Tony added; “It has been a busy few years of development and growth for the firm. We wanted to celebrate, this latest landmark in our journey, with those that have helped us to get here. We considered various event options, but were delighted to take the event to John Lewis for a memorable event that was something a little different.”
CRM are accountants and business advisers working with their clients to build their business.