XIST2 are proud to be part of the fight for safe sanitation for all. To mark #WorldToiletDay, each of the team members at XIST2 have twinned with a toilet through toilettwinning.org to help fund a project in a poor community that will enable families to build a basic toilet, have access to clean water and learn about hygiene.
Without proper toilets and clean water, people are trapped in a vicious cycle:
- They’re likely to become sick through sanitation-related diseases
- Illness means they can’t work or farm their land, so they earn less or grow less food
- Children miss school because they are sick or because they’re busy collecting water
- Girls often drop out of school altogether when they start their periods if there are no toilets or changing rooms
- Medicines or food need to be paid for so parents may fall into debt
- Women and girls risk being attacked or bitten by snakes as they go to the toilet in the open, especially if the culture dictates that they have to go out at night
These projects enable families to build a toilet, have access to clean water, and to learn about handwashing and other hygiene principles.
For more information on how you can get involved, visit www.toilettwinning.org.